Even as a fan of the game of HeroClix and a multiple-times-daily visitor to HCRealms.com, I tend to restrict my movements largely to four areas of that site: the UNITS section, the “Rumors” forum for “news” on upcoming sets, the Frontpage (for Articles), and the U.S. Politics forum.
I did stumble upon a recent thread pining away for another Silver Surfer clix, and saw another them emerge: players wanting a set devoted to the Fantastic Four. I thought, “Yeah, I can get behind that.”
Today, I ventured into the “Dear Wizkids” forum, started two “Wish-List” threads: one for the FF and one for Captain America (just because). Links:
http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=519204 & http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=519201
With WizKids pumping out sets, there seems to be a lot of kvetching about “oversaturation” of certain characters and more “power creep” in the designs to entice players to buy.
(1) Stop putting out a CTD (“Counter Top Display”) single-figure booster “primer” with each regular booster expansion.
(2) Once a year, for the Marvel Comics and DC Comics brands, put out a 12-character, 24-count, flat-rarity CTD of the most popular characters that are most in-demand for Modern Organized Play. [But, no gimmicks, like the 10th ANNIVERSARY sets had with the “Battlefield Promotion” effects.]
(3) Make great, powerful representations of these characters.
(4) In the “regular” booster expansion sets, sure, have those characters, but as Rare level or higher rarities, and make them “quirky”. Not “less powerful”, but very different in play.
(5) The “regular” booster expansions are where the “generics” and the broader selection of characters needs to be, the obscure and C through Z-List characters.
(6) Keep the Fast Forces as they are now. Good stuff coming out lately.
(7) I assume the “Storyline Organized Play” Tournament sets could remain as is. (Don’t know; I don’t chase those much.)
(8) With Fast Forces out there, such CTD sets could render a need for “Starters” irrelevant. Have suggested before that WizKids might want to make “Starter Packs” instead, that just have the Core Rulebook, Powers & Abilities Card, terrain markers, object tokens, a “generic team abilities card”, and maybe something special like Special Object Tokens or generic Bystander Tokens.
(9) Hope they keep the Quick Start two-character packs, but, maybe add the brand’s specific Team Ability Cards? (Or, could those be sold separately, with their own special items? Universe-specific Bystander Tokens and/or Specific Objects? )
My whole thing is getting characters as-yet-“UnClixed” into the game, and get some characters that have appeared in the game before the era of Character Cards “ReClixed”.
I do think some of the “flagship” characters are getting too many representations each year, the “oversaturation” causing problems from “power creep” to “character fatigue”.
Just a suggestion.